Winter is coming! Winter means more snow, colds, and radon. Radon levels are higher on colder days because the ground freezes and traps the gas in the soil. As the winter season is approaching, radon gets harder to control. You’ll probably want to close your windows and seal your doors to keep the cold away and get warm, but that only means less ventilation and more risks for radon increase!
In this blog post, we’ll tell you the different things you can do to eliminate radon during winter to keep your family safe so that you can enjoy your holidays!
8 Ways To Avoid Radon In Winter
Winter is the best time for holiday cheer and beautiful decorations, but it can also be a period of increased risk for radon exposure. Radon levels increase as the ground freezes and releases this radioactive gas into your home. But, don’t worry! There are some things you can do to avoid this invisible killer all year long! Some of these ways are:
- Conducting radon testing in your home to know exactly where the problem areas are. Then take steps to address these specific locations.
- Replacing deteriorated grout around windows and floors with an impermeable sealant will prevent any cracks or gaps from allowing this gas into the house through floorboards, crevices, or walls.
- Sealing ducts with a strong sealant to prevent radon from seeping in through gaps between the metal panels of your air vents and other openings where this gas can get inside.
- Taking steps outside to make sure that no snow is collecting on top of concrete foundations, stone walkways, porches, etc., as this can cause radon to enter the house through these openings.
- You can prevent radon from seeping under doors or windows, etc., by using a fan to push air out of your home.
- Keeping all vents closed at night when levels are typically highest to let any gas that has accumulated inside safely escape outside where you cannot breathe it in.
- To prevent the wind from pulling radon into vents and out of cracks in walls, floors, etc., you should keep your heating and cooling systems running at below-average ventilation.
- Hire a certified and licensed radon specialist to develop a mitigation plan to completely remove radon. This is the safest and most effective way to eliminate radon.
Worried About Radon? Hire Specialists To Get Rid Of It!
In the winter months, it’s important to make sure your home is safe. So, if you’re looking for radon mitigation near me, Radon Control Services is the answer! We’re a certified and licensed radon mitigation company that provides customized solutions for homeowners to reduce their risk of exposure to dangerous gas.
Our team of radon specialists is ready and waiting to partner with you to create an effective strategy together, which will help you eliminate the radon to enjoy your holidays safely. If you’re not sure if your house has high levels of radon gas or want more information on how we work, give us a call today!